Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Year with Diabetes

New Year with Diabetes : Striving for _______ in 2013.

This is the topic for this month's #DSMA Blog Carnival. When I saw the topic I spent some time thinking about what I want to do this year in regards to diabetes. My first thoughts were about specifically health related things. Perhaps trying to lower my A1c? Exercising more (or at all)? Eating healthier? Avoiding things I know make my blood sugar spike? There are so many things I could strive for, but in truth most of these things are things I work toward at some point in every year.

Then I started thinking about the advocacy part of diabetes. Truth be known, my blogging has decreased, my active online presence has drifted from nearly non-existent to semi-active. I want to change these things. So I have a few major goals for 2013. I won't call them "resolutions" because I never seem to keep those. Instead, they'll just stay goals. I'll work toward them steadily and if I reach them in 2013, that will be amazing. If not, I'll keep at it until I get there.

First off, I'd like to get back into active tweeting on my diabetes twitter account. I feel like I've slacked, and I miss my friends.

Secondly, I want to make a goal to blog at least once a week for this blog. That means 52 blog posts in 2013. I want to make this happen.

Next, I want to make it a goal to read (and comment) on more blogs. I have slacked on my reading of blogs, and I want that back. It's how I keep in touch with what's happening in the D-OC and I need to get back to that.

And finally, I want to become more active locally in diabetes advocacy. There is so little that goes on in my area, and I feel a need to get people together. Living in a rural area makes it hard to find people who are willing to get together, but I think it's possible. And I want to make this happen.

So these are my goals for 2013. I hope to reach them soon, and feel more than free to slap me around if I look like I'm not doing them. I give you permission. :)

 
This post is my January entry in the DSMA Blog Carnival. If you’d like to participate too, you can get all of the information at http://diabetessocmed.com/2013/january-dsma-blog-carnival-2/

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not blogged consistently in over 2 years. I'm going to attempt to write a blog once a week with you; we'll have to cheer each other on. I wish you a lot of luck with your local advocacy goals. I want to give you one small piece of advise, you do not need a large organization to make it happen-just do it, and do not get discouraged. I'm going to get more involved with my local diabetes community-it's going to be something I strive for and something DCAF will work towards in the near future.

Karen said...

I love your goals, and I'll be so glad to see you around the DOC more!! :)

Rich the Diabetic said...

Hi Cara, thanks for your comment. I started doing the 1 post a week thing back in October, once I discovered I can "schedule" posts. I write whenever I get inspired, and post schedule them every wednesday so they are consistent. Scheduling helps me, maybe it can help you? Good luck!

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you this weekend, Cara! Cute blog!
Jordan Holt
http://www.exclusivelychic.com
http://www.capturingdiabetes.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you this weekend!

Dr. P. said...

I am looking forward to reading your weekly blog posts. I support you!

George said...

Great goals. I share some of them with you so I'll be sure and check in to cheer you on!