Sunday, May 20, 2012

D Blog Week: Diabetes Hero

Our last day of Diabetes Blog Week! Thanks again to my great friend Karen at Bitter-Sweet Diabetes for organizing this wonderful event, yet again.

Let’s end our week on a high note and blog about our “Diabetes Hero”. It can be anyone you’d like to recognize or admire, someone you know personally or not, someone with diabetes or maybe a Type 3. It might be a fabulous endo or CDE. It could be a d-celebrity or role-model. It could be another DOC member. It’s up to you – who is your Diabetes Hero??



You know, there are so many diabetes heroes out there. There are the people who are LIVING with diabetes every day, the people who work in the healthcare field (and give it their all) to help care for people living with diabetes. There are are people who work tirelessly to find a cure for diabetes and to promote technology in the meantime.

But I think my heroes are the Type 3s. The people who LOVE those of us with diabetes. The parents, the children, the significant others, the friends, co-workers. The people who put up with our mood swings, and bad days, and health emergencies. They are the ones who don't HAVE to deal with diabetes, but do so anyway.

I'm thankful for my D-OC, who is there for me when I need mental and emotional support. But I'm truly thankful for my friends and family that I'm around every day. The ones who worry and pray for me. When my co-worker calls me when I'm running late for work, just to make sure I'm okay. That's a hero. When my mom listens to me rant about crazy blood sugar days (and I KNOW she prays for me all the time). That's a hero. When my best friend promises me we'll get to the airport two hours early, to make sure I get through security okay. That's a hero.

I'm thankful and blessed to have the D-OC. But I'm also thankful and blessed to have the Type 3s in my life. I hope they all realize how much I appreciate them and love them.

Remember to check out all the other great posts about today's topic by clicking HERE.

No comments: