Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Respect

I have expressed my love of music many times. I've also shared my love of all kinds of music with many of you. I am not terribly picky on music. To me, music is good if it touches a person. Some music touches more effectively than others. Sure, there are some types of music I favor more than others. And some that I try to avoid. But overall, I am a music lover for the sake of the story the music tells and the feelings that music can invoke.

That being said, I've been a semi-fan of Lady Gaga for a while. She's not my favorite, but sometimes there's nothing like a good Gaga song. :) She has made her way onto my Zune and I listen on a fairly regular basis.

On Friday, she was on the Today Show. I didn't see it when it aired, but thanks to the joys of YouTube and the internet, I got to see the performances. And I have to say, I admire her. And she earned top notch respect in my world.

Why? Well, not only does she put on a stellar performance, she also did something that you rarely see a super popular act do. She opened her performance of "Bad Romance" with part of the Gershwin classic "Someone To Watch Over Me".

Wow.

I have always felt that young people (and even some older people) are way too narrow minded in their taste of music. How many 16 year olds saw that performance and did a Google search on the song? Who knows? But it may just have introduced them to one of the greatest songwriters of all time.

There are performers and then there are people who are true artists. They recognize and respect all kinds of music. They understand that music developed into what it is today with the help of all different types of writers and singers. By performing a piece of a classic with one of her biggest hits, I believe that Lady Gaga paid respect to all types of music.

So, here it is, if you missed it. It was a truly spectacular performance.

3 comments:

k2 said...

I saw the clip on youtube and was impressed by Some One To Watch Over Me opening as well.
Heck, I was impressed w/the whole darn thing!

Cara said...

Me too! She's so good. And I like her so much more now! :)

Jami said...

Natalie hears the beginning of this and said Mommy we have that song. I have a lot of Ella Fitzgerald lol. I'm not a big fan of Gaga's music, but I love her Ideas and brash. This just makes me like her more as well!