Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Birthday Cuppies

Fourteen years ago, my life changed forever. I spent the first 15 years of my life with only a MUCH older brother in the sibling department. My half-brother was 19 years older than my and had already left the home when I was born. But fourteen years ago, as of Monday, I was blessed with a baby sister.
Rachel and I are as different as night and day. With so many years between us, we often disagree. And with so many years between us, there is a fine, fine line between sister and parent for me, which drives her exceedingly crazy.
But she blesses me so much. I'm so crazy about her. She's growing into a fine young lady. She has her moments (what 14 year old doesn't?), but overall she is smart, funny, out-going, and truly cares about people.
When I asked her what she wanted for her birthday cake, all she would tell me was that she wanted light blue and light pink and chocolate cake. So, I had to get creative. This is what I came up with:



My sister loves music.



She sings like an angel.


She has recently taken up bowling, and plans to be on the bowling team when she goes to high school next year.

And she ALWAYS has her crazy pink iPod stuck in her ears (and turned up WAAAYYYY too loud).


She loved the cupcakes and the other small gifts I got her. And I was happy I was able to make her birthday a little more special, just like she's made my life more special.
I love you, Rachel.

4 comments:

k2 said...

Cara:
You are a WONDERFUL big sister and Rachel is lucky to have you! And vice versa of course!
Those are some FINE looking cupcakes!
Kelly K

Anonymous said...

EVERY time I see a post of yours with cake/cupcakes on it, I just want to get up and BAKE!!

I think I will have to try my hand when I'm jobless in 9 days. More free time= baked deliciousness. :)
Maybe I'll make a monkey cake for my hubby :)

George said...

those are great! I am a huge fan of family so this post made me smile big time.

Karen said...

Those are incredible!!!! Rachel couldn't ask for a better big sister. :)