Thursday, September 18, 2008

Teaching Diabetes 101

My teacher of the graduate class I am taking has Type 2. I've never hidden my diabetes so they all know. When I got to class this week, I was obviously not feeling well.
Blood sugar check rang in at 368. My teacher about had a meltdown wanting to know if she could get me anything. I told her I was fine, I would just take some insulin and go get some water.
I came back and sat next to a fellow student. After I bolused, she says to me, "So, if your blood sugar's high, why did you take insulin? Doesn't insulin bring your blood sugar up?"

Insert Diabetes 101 lesson.
:)

4 comments:

Karen said...

*sigh* It's so easy for me to forget sometimes how little most people know about diabetes.

I know what you mean about your Type 2 teacher having a melt-down at your 368. Pea and I were at his co-workers house one day, and he's a recently diagnosed Type 2. I checked my blood sugar before lunch and announced that it was 74. I was really glad about that - I had been running high all morning. But he reacted as if I said it was 34!! He flipped out. I guess he must run in range most of the time - lucky guy!

Lee Ann Thill said...

It's weird that most people seem to think insulin raises BG. Like I can't tell you how many times someone has said to me when I'm low, "Don't you need to take some insulin?" I guess I take the logic of putting sugar in my body when my blood sugar is LOW for granted.

Cara said...

Karen-It astounds me every time something like this happens. I forget not everyone lives with this disease.

Lee Ann: Adding sugar when your sugar is low???? That would just make too much sense. :D

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "wow".