Thursday, January 17, 2008

Eyes and Teeth

Today I had a dental appointment and an appointment for my yearly dilated eye exam. To be honest about it all, I have not been to the dentist in quite some years. I have good teeth and haven't had a cavity in my life. Due to this, and lack of money (dental care's not cheap!) I hadn't been going to the dentist. Well, I went today. It wasn't good news. Basically, people, don't stop going to the dentist! I have five, count 'em: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, cavities! I am so disturbed. I didn't even know they were there. They caused no pain at all and until he told me they were there I was clueless. Sadly, I have 2 dental appointments in the next 2 weeks to get my teeth fixed. And I have learned my lesson: don't quit going to the dentist!!!
As for the eye exam, it went pretty well. There was no change to my vision (i.e. no need for new glasses) and no bleeding in my eye! I have to say, twenty two and a half years into diabetes, I count my blessings that there is no diabetic bleeding in my eyes. However, I do have the start of cataracts on both my eyes. I knew this last year, and the doctor said they had worsened some. But fortunately, they do not interfere with my vision in any way and the doctor said there is no need to do anything about it right now.

I also had to post my eye picture after viewing Scott and Landileigh's blogs of their January eye exam pictures. I figured I might as well join the group! :)

6 comments:

Donna said...

I hate to hear that you've got those cavities. What a pain.

But, congratulations on the great eye exam! I know after having diabetes for so long, losing my sight is one of my biggest fears. I've been so blessed not to have problems in that area. I'm glad your visit was positive.

Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy) said...

Way to go on the eye exam. It's always a relief to hear the all-clear :)

Scott K. Johnson said...

Sorry about the cavities too!

Great news on the eyes, and FANTASTIC picture! :-)

k2 said...

Sorry to hear about the cavities, but way to go regarding the eye exam!
YOU ROCK. I hate the "dilation station,"but like u, I go once a year.

Be proud of your eyes and continue to love your teeth!
Kelly K

Minnesota Nice said...

Cara, I had a cataract removed about 4 years ago and it was a non-event. They just popped it out and I went home, took a nap, and was back at work the next day.

I know it's tempting to let the teeth just be, especially when they are not giving you any problems. But those sneaky cavities can cost a lot of money if left untreated - the deeper they go the more chance of having to get a root canal (big bucks), or waking up on a weekend with a splitting toothache and no dentit available (been there, done that).
Have a good weekend.

Naomi said...

Brush, floss, rinse, repeat.... It seemed that for a time no matter how I cared for my teeth, I'd end up with cavities because I had some deep valleys in my teeth or something. Ugh! Cavities are no fun (especially when one has a sensitivity to novacaine!!).

Hooray for your eyes! Use them to look for Daniel & me when you are in Rockville -- it's just down the road from me in Silver Spring. We are in Rockville A LOT.